My Family

I created this blog to keep track of my family history research. I do most of my research online.

The Francis name is my husband's which was originally Francisco from Sao Miguel, Azores, Portugal. He also has ancestors from Sweden and England. So far, I have found that my family has come from Italy, England, French Canada, Scotland, and Ulster Ireland (Scotch Irish).

I have also taken a DNA test, which shows mostly Italian, but also England and France.

Friday, February 8, 2013

maja lena pettersdotter (part 3 of 3)

death

In 1890, Maja and Anders return to Humla; where they remain for the rest of their lives (at this time their son Frans actually moves back to Blidsberg with his new wife; although the rest of Maja and Anders' children are all living in Humla). Maja dies at the age of 72, in Humla, on November 8, 1898.  I am not practiced in reading Swedish handwritting, so I am not sure of her cause of death.  It may be in the column 4th to the end.  Maja's husband, Anders, lives only a year and a half longer; his date of death is May 18, 1900.

Death record of Maja Lena Pettersdotter, Humla, Sweden (gid 1908.11.100)
From maja lena feb 2013

I believe Maja survived all of her siblings. (note 1)  Her youngest sister died the same year as Maja, but in February. 

All of Maja and Anders' children survive them. One child, Emma Sofia, moves to the United States, to Warwick, RI in 1892, with 5 of Maja and Ander's grandchildren (Emma continues to have a total of 9 children). I am not sure how much contact the family had with each other while living in Sweden, but I would guess they would have seen Emma and the grandchildren off to America. Emma was the only child of Maja and Anders who left Sweden; although, some of Maja's other grandchildren emigrated to America also.  An ancestry.com tree has some of their son Alfrid's children emigrating to Colorado in the US. 

Maja and Anders had a total of 26 grandchildren.  As I mentioned above, 5 leave for America as children (Emma's children) and 4 more are born in America.  One of Gustafa's children was not born before Maja died; so that leaves Maja as knowing 19 of her grandchildren while she was alive.  Not all of her grandchildren survived her; however.  I found at least 2 that died as children; both children of their youngest  son Frans.


Humla churchyard, picture by Ake Fagerlund on kyrkokartan.se website
I would love to have a picture of Maja and Ander's headstone, but I am not sure where they are buried.  I think that if they are listed in the church books for Humla, that would mean they are buried at the Humla churchyard, hopefully with a headstone.  I did come across one website that has photos of headstones of Swedish churchyards, but they only have three for Humla.  The website is Gravstensinventeringen. I did check findagrave.com also, but they do not have any listings for Humla.  


notes
1. I have not found a death record yet for her brother Johan who emigrates to America.

to do
1. look for death records in Swedish Death Index to see if all grandchildren stayed in Sweden - how many went to America.
2. search for pictures of gravestones for Humla cemetery - maybe Maja and Anders are buried there.

No comments: